Monday, September 28, 2009

A very interesting day. I came out with the intent to clean, which I did: french door windows, the bathroom in the back bedroom (yuck) which, though clean, neither toilet or bathtub is draining. I'll get some Drano or something, unless someone knows in advance that this is a futile gesture.

Looked for her med, but Scott is taking care of that, though I will be happy to do it. Memory was not good today, my acting was. "Oh wow! You got a new Don Williams in Africa tape! Great! Let's watch it!" We had some of Amy's delicious stroganoff for lunch, Gary brought over what I hope will be supper.

The odd thing about (theme of) the whole day was that she didn't like me leaving the room to clean and when I went to leave, kept finding things to keep me there. My reward? A heartfelt, "Thank you, Rob, for coming out here to see me." I felt like I had really been doing something worthwhile. 'Made the whole day for me, as I guess it did for Helen.

She was totally hypnotized over a couple of old Bonanza reruns. They kept her focussed 100%. I am going to the library soon to get us some DVDs to watch. I don't feel the plot should be any more complicated than Bonanza plots are. Lonesome Dove for sure, Liberty Valance and The Shootist and finally, especially, True Grit is one I think she'll get a big kick out of with that wonderful young girl acting in it. Maybe she won't notice Glen Campbell. Simple. Upbeat. Good guys win. That sort of movie.

Long and short, as well-meaning as my cleaning ventures are, Helen needs what I am at present, a friend. I'll consider that my prime responsibility. I always kind of thought it would be fun to be an actor and the benefits to just being there for Helen cannot be measured, in my opinion. It's not a job, it's a privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment