Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Monday. The longest continuous conversation I've ever had in my 60 years. Really. Unfortunately the length of the conversation gave Helen plenty of opportunities to repeat herself quite a lot, the worst I've witnessed. She seemed tired, and I suspect a connection between the two. Brought her chicken salad, 1/2 of which she ate. With her high caffeine and nicotine intake, it's a wonder to me she has an appetite at all. She obviously doesn't burn a lot of calories. Suggest offering small portions. If she wants seconds, pile it on.

We discussed her Aricept (she brought it up) and she said her children wanted her to take it, that it was supposed to help her memory. She's moved the bottle to her chairside. I innocently asked, "doesn't that med have a sedative side effect? This has been her previous excuse for not taking it. She said "no." It will take some pill-counting to see if she is being compliant (and not stuffing a pill under her chair cushion!) People do that, I know from my experience with a nursing home patient.

One noteworthy thing: Gary came by about 4:30-5 (swollen feet/ankles, I noticed) and asked what Helen had read that day. Helen said "why do I need to read anything when I have Rob to talk to all day?" I must be a welcome addition to her life after all. 40 hr. workweek on the horizon. Insurance company sending forms to fill out to Scott. All we need now is to do "good cop/bad cop" with the doctor(s) playing bad cop, telling her she needs a daytime companion (no longer to be referred as "caregiver", please. Companion to Helen is what I have been to Helen since the Seventies, so that will play better with her.)

I told her "you're really the only mother I've ever had and then broke down in spite of myself. Feelings run deep.

Amy there today (Tuesday) to keep from blowing my "undercover" status until the doctor orders full-time companionship without the option. That leaves us in a "good cop" role, which is ideal. No one likes their children to tell them what to do. It's an intolerable role-reversal for almost all of the elderly. It's predictable, I have observed, as have you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment