Tuesday, September 29, 2009


I'm afraid that sort of behavior is all too predictable and I'm sorry it's beginning to happen. #1: We need to remember that Helen being alone is not the same as you or I being alone. Her brain does not have any real "point of reference" i.e. another human being. We at least know there is someone in the house with us. She's in outer space. #2: I don't want to call it sundowning yet. As I've said, we'll know more definitely when Daylight Savings Time ends, still it, and her behavior yesterday around 5:30 points to that, I'm afraid. I awoke with a start at 3:30, blood pressure sky high (I have medicine) worrying about her (even though they say "worry is a form of atheism"). Still, I'm a bit of a worrier and she is never far from my mind.

It looks like real, live, people and movies are our best bet now, at least while she's home. Does she enjoy going out in general? As the leaves change, there's always the Smokies, as long as you don't think that's too long a time for her. She said to me once, "Why do I need to go look at the leaves in the mountains when I've got all the Fall colors right out my front door?" She has a point. Any ideas for day trips would be welcome.

'Tell you what. I'm going to shift my hours forward (backward?) today (10:30-11 to 4 or 5:30) so I can stop by the downtown library and get some of those DVDs I mentioned in my blog report (they open at 10). Heck, I may even join NetFliks or Blockbuster on-line so I'll have a wider selection to choose from. That will also put me out there later in the day. I think her morning routine can hold her for that long. After that, she needs a real, live person. I am also bringing out a quiche Dorothy made for her. As she said, "You could have this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. She really enjoyed it. I'm not sure she'd ever had it before. Marie Callender's pot pies are good too as you can cook them in the microwave and she doesn't skimp on the chicken. There are other easy-fix good frozen food things that are good. The companies seem to have picked up on the fact that nobody has the time or energy to prepare a good meal after a day's work. At least Dorothy and I don't.

I think the moving around of hours will let me see if she's sundowning or not, especially after DST ends, as I said. That phone call you got worries me as that is quite a bad symptom, something she's not done before. Maybe when you are out there, you can program my phone number into her cell. IF she is going to call people late, we may as well spread it around. Fortunately, Don Williams has always been one of my favorite artists, so I don't mind the interminable concerts everyday. Still, she had definitely slipped down a rung. I hope she's not getting her days and nights turned around, which may be on the horizon. She dropped off to sleep in her chair yesterday. Maybe I can wear her out...:)

I tripped on that outside doormat leaving the house yesterday as it had scooted away from the door. Perhaps a larger, thinner one held tight with some double-sided tape (I have some very strong kind) would not be a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment