Thursday, September 24, 2009

Out to the farm today 9:45-2:45, easing into my being there again. Met Cactus. 'Don't know about him. Unusual for sure. He talks loud, I'll say that much. 'Wants you to know how much he knows.

Helen also wanted to talk, and talk we did, then talked some more. We talked until lunch, went to Hancock's for a burger, then back home and....well.... talked again.

I did not get on her about her medicine. I felt like it was not my place to do so until she knows why I am actually out there. But at present I am a guest and guests don't normally do that kind of thing, at least not at my house they don't. I know this is a concern of the family Any feedback on this issue is very much welcome.

I asked her if there was anything she needed ("no") and said that if there ever was, or if she just wanted to get out and about, that we'd go...wherever, whenever, ("o.k.").

From the conversation, as she dealt more with matters of the heart, it affirmed my belief that she is doing what all people her age do, that is, deciding whether her life has been good or not. I affirmed it right across the board. There was repetition as she became more tired in the afternoon.

Don't be upset if she won't talk about what you want to talk about. She has her own agenda as to conversation topics and it's better (for her and for us) to just go along with it and not get annoyed that it seems like she's not listening. She is "working things out" and anyway to help her do this
is a good thing. You can tell especially if she keeps returning to bothersome (to her) topics or waxes philosophical about "Life, Death, etc." Let her. Affirm her. That's my advice.

Asked her if it was o.k. to come out tomorrow ("sure"). Will extend my time an hour each successive day as I ease into my role, but more importantly, easing her into it as well. The real reason I'm there will have to come out sooner better than later. That's a real kid-gloves operation. Any volunteers?

Wonderful banister and believe me, she used it! I used it! There are definite gait issues and my hand was right there all of the time (w/o actually touching her) just in case she misstepped. She used her cane at all times.

Such was my re-entry this Thursday. 'Will post tomorrow evening after my visit. R.

No comments:

Post a Comment