Friday, August 28, 2009

Things went very well today. I came a little earlier, stayed a little later until Amy was able to stop by. Helen and I carried on a very long (2hr.), interesting conversation, most of which was about Alzheimer's Disease and it's manifestations! I told her how glad I was to have someone to be with during the day and to be out in God's Country. She responded by saying she was glad as was there as she was lonely too and "didn't even have a dog anymore." There is no un-truth in all of this. Monday, I am going to call and ask permission to come out, thus giving her a goodly measure of control, so much of which she has lost in other areas of her life. (I don't know what I'll do if she says "no." I'll call one of you, I guess.) She wants me to bring my carving out there to do.

About 2 we went to Hancock's for a cheeseburger, which she finished. Later, when Amy was there, she enquired about Colace dosages, needed, I assume because 1) everything slows down with age and 2) her diet, or lack thereof. Amy brought groceries. No junk.

Perhaps, for now anyway, the reason my company is welcome is because I'm not coming at her with any dementia-related issues....yet. I'll let prayer and timing tell me when to introduce, first, the taking of her meds. I don't know how she will take to me fixing us a healthy lunch. There's always peach milkshakes!

Amy expressed doubts about Gary taking to his new insulin/diet regime, which is understandable considering his track record with the pre-ketoacidotic episode. It could go either way. I'm trying to get up my nerve to ask him to let me look at his feet. I don't know what he's eating. He's been so important to Helen's "having someone there" his condition will warrant as much monitoring as I can manage, not really knowing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment