Wednesday, August 12, 2009

11 Aug 09

I spoke with Mom last night for a while. She sounded pretty happy and pretty 'with it'. I probably opened a can of worms though and here is my reasoning.
I really would like for Mom to voluntarily seek companionship in the form of someone staying with her at least during the day. I talked to her about how nice it was to have company all the time - Mitzi, Aunt M. Talked to her about how it would be nice if we could arrange that for her here. I mentioned that Rob was looking for something to do and that she could at least try it out for a while.
She said she might consider it in the future when she felt she couldn't take care of herself. I reminded her that she didn't like to eat alone and company would give her someone to eat with and ensure that she ate. I also reminded her that she sometimes forgot to take her medicines and they could help with that, too.
Hmm. Well. She said we could talk about it when she gets home.

Next I talked to Aunt Maggie. She says Mom is pretty good - gets out when Maggie tells her they are going to. Has been eating pretty well. Has developed a taste for Sonic Peach milkshakes. Is a little forgetful but then said "But so am I". And then she asked me "What is Aricept for?" I told her it is to try and help Mom's memory improve or at least not get any worse. Aunt Margaret says Mom refuses to take it. Mom says it is a sleeping pill and she sleeps just fine.
Well and so.

Mother has Dr appt on Tuesday at 8:30 with Dr Perra in the St Mary's Towers suite 505. Becky has arranged this appt to be a meeting with Dr Perra to outline (we hope) a plan of care for Mom. Without a Plan of Care (POC) the insurance company won't pay for any services. All of who can should try to be there as it is a 'family meeting' of sorts with the Doc and Mom. But... Mom doesn't know about it - other than she is going for a check up. We'll see how that goes.

I have talked to Scot tand I hope he understands that I am NOT after cntrol of this situation, but I am after ensuring Mom's safety. He said he found his copy of the limited power of attorney he has. I don't know about the insurances stuff yet. I hope to talk to him again today. He said he'd take care of Mom during the day, that he could resign from Knox-Tenn, but I don't know if the board will let him resign. That, too, needs to be seen.

Anyway - Scott and Cindy are in Nashville this weekend to see Jodi. Scott is willing to pick Mom up and bring her home since he is going to be in Nashville anyway. I think that is probably a good idea. I don't care who gets Mom to accept what is coming but Scott is most likely to since she seems to "obey" his dictates. Again, we'll see.

Rob has been kind enough to provide copies of the audio of a program designed to help people who are experiencing the mental decline of a loved one. I have listened to it and hope all the rest of you will, too. I have two copies of it, please let me know if you want the CDs and I will get them to you. It's pretty sobering.

He also gave me a VCR tape of a movie that was quite well respected about a duaghter dealing with a declining parent. I've ordered the DVD version of this so any who want to see it can do so if they don't hae a VCR anymore. It should be here in a week or so. Again, let me know.

The quest continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment