Friday, August 21, 2009

Hi all,
I just returned from Mom's. She had company - Gary's son Bradley and his friend Ben. Nice enough kids, I guess but both bummed cigarettes off me and/or Mom.
Anyway - I stopped and got some rotisserie chicken t take out there and I had made some marinara with italian sausage that I had planned on sharing with Mom for dinner. I also picked up some pasta to cook for the marinara but.... back to this.
Just about as soon as I walked in MOther said "Amy, I deifed all of these male types out here today!" I asked her how she managed to do that and she said "I just got in my car and drove to Hancocks." Hmm. Well...... I stewed about that for a few minutes, trying to keep a rein on my tongue.
Attempting to change the subject I asked if she had eaten that day. Yep- breakfast. Bacon and eggs...... and for lunch, chicken and corn and broccoli. That sounds good Mom ! I'll bet you're full.
2 minuts later: I am going to indulge myself, she says, and gets down a package of Oreos and eats about 6 of them. Later, she spies a plate on the table and says "See ! I did have breakfast and here is the plate I used" then she walked to the little fridge, pulled out a huge sweetroll and said "And that is what I ate!" I said... "Mom, not 5 minutes ago you told me you had bacon and eggs !" She said "Well, I had 2 breakfasts." She's quick.
Anyway - I ended up sitting and listening to her chat with Bradley and Ben about the farm and us kids and the like. It was interesting when Ben asked her how many kids her kids have she only mentioned two of the kids and three of the grandkids. Her mind simply can't hold a thought for long.
At one point, she was walking across the living room and I asked her where her cane was. She said it was in the corner by her chair. I looked. No care. I asked her again and she said she must have left it in the car when she went to the store. So - I went to the garage, checked the car, got her cane, and oh yeah, I hid the keys. She won't be driving anywhere soon.
I left the food in the care of Brad and Ben, checked ot make sure Brad knew how to cook pasta and left it with them to have dinner with Mom. Gary is out until late tonight as he has gone to Tazwell for the car races.
Guys - this is very hard for me. I have never really thought of myself as a control freak but this situation with a defiant mom is really tweaking my switches. I know it isn't her fault and I can't say I am mad at her..... but I am mad. And I realize I'm pretty helpless except to do things like hide her keys and have meals with her sometimes. I cannot quit work and I know Rob will be installed there soon during the day. But it's not an easy road.
I'll be going out there tomorrow I suppose. I'll check to see that she at least eats lunch (I hope) Also, Hope and Sam are supposed to come up sometime this weekend. We'll see how that visit goes.
That is my update.

Love yas,
a

No comments:

Post a Comment