Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday July 14, 2009 (amy)

Mom and I went to see Dr Perra today. She has lost another half pound. That makes 8.5 pounds lost in just about 2 months. Mom claims she is eating but Dr Perra said that if that is so then there is some other reason she is losing weight. She will see her back in 5 weeks and if she is still losing weight then she'll order a colonoscopy and other tests to see if there is a cancer hiding out somewhere.

Mom had a mini-mental-status-exam today. That is simply a bunch of questions that are asked of a patient to see how good their short and medium term memory is. Mom scored a 27 out of 30. Few of us kids would do better than that ! Dr Perra thinks that Mom CAN remember and CAN concentrate, she just chooses not to, for whatever reason.

Mom had blood drawn to check her thyroid, her B12 and Folate levels, and had a urinalysis performed. Apparently at her last appointment her whice blood cell count was slightly elevated and, in ladies Mom's age, there is often a low-level bladder infection that can be the cause. She did the urinalysis to check for this.

After Dr Perra's we went to Rankin's restaurant for lunch. She ate (in addition to corn flakes and blueberries for breakfast) a very healthy and large lunch - chicken and dumplings, cole slaw, corn, mashed potatoes, and some peas. I was overfull just watching her. Oh ! She drank one and a half big glasses of sweet tea, too.

Mom said she knew how she could put on some weight. She'd just buy a month's supply of Hershey bars and stuff herself with that. I tried to dissuade her from that, reminding her that we really would like it if she could stay healthy ! I asked if she could stomach Ensure, she countered that she drinks a gallon of milk a week. I tried !

Becky got Mom a cell phone yesterday and plugged it in over near her chair. I THINK Becky put it next to her red chair..... anyway, when I got there this morning, the phone and plug were lying on the little library table inside the livingroom window - next to the vibrating recliner. Her new number is 659-5790. I'd love to know if anyone ever gets in touch with her on that phone. But she said she wanted one. We'll see.

We got back to the farm about 2. As I left she said she was going to take a nap. Oh ! and by the way.... she is now locking all the doors. Scott... do you have a key that you can have copied for everybody ? That would be good.

That's all for now from me. Please post updates as you see and or talk with Mom. Maybe with this venue available we can keep everyone informed.

Love you guys !
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Amy for taking Mom today. Regarding Mom's new cell phone. I'm going to be devising some sort of lanyard so Mom can wear it around her neck. I wish you all will call the new number 659-5790 when you call, so she will become comfortable using it. Plus ask her to hang up and call you right back, so she'll get used to dialing out on it also.
    Actually, Amy..when I took Mom to Dr. after you and Scott did that first time, Dr. Perra told me she had lost 8 lbs. in one month and then another 7 lbs then 1/2 lb today. That's 15 1/2 lbs in 2 1/2 months. When I took her last month Dr. Perra did a chest xray and ruled out lung cancer. As Amy mentioned..Mom REALLY eats alot when you take her out and sometimes when you eat with her at home. She is NOT remembering to take her Aricep and still can't remember things. When she is put on the spot to remember, she obviously does well. I believe that when she sits at home alone so much, she's just fading away. I'm fortunate enough to be able to take her places a few times a week. Only when you actually take her somewhere can you notice her strength becoming less and less from week to week. You can't see it so much by visiting her at her house. You really need to see her when you get her out and about. She is even getting weaker and weaker using her cane. I'm finding myself realdy to step in and catch her as she walks if she should crumble. She can't hardly open a car door for herself this week (she had no problem opening it for herself 2 weeks ago). She's ok closing it by herself. I am taking her for a bone density test this Fri. I'll post anything I find out at the time. However, they will probably just send reports back to Dr. Perra. I'll be sure to let you all know how she does when I take her out Friday. SHE LOVES TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. Three hours out..possibly 4 hours out if she doesn't have to walk much. About all she can do is walk ok to and from car and in and out of restaurants or Dr. office. If any of you want to take her to the grocery store...PLEASE talk her into using the motorized shopping cart.
    Oh well...I guess I can talk as much on here as I can on the phone..LOL
    Love ALL
    Becky

    ReplyDelete