Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday with Mom

Today was pleasant enough. Amy and I took Mom to the 407 flee market. We slowly followed her around, being ever so aware that she didn't have much strength today, and we may have to save her from a fall at any minute. Amy took her by the elbow and forearm to help steady her. Well, Mom was QUICK to inform Amy she was fine and didn't need help. I don't know about Amy, but for me, it's really hard and awkward to reach to hold Mom's hand or take her by the arm, offering support. The reality is....it's much much harder for Mom to admit she needs help, or receive it when it's offered. I suppose I should take comfort in her attitude, for I know it won't be much longer til she has no choice in the matter.
As usual, Mom was jovial at times and confused at others.
Mom loves to get out and go places. It doesn't really matter where. She'll go anywhere you want to take her. I think getting her out of the house for a while let's her get some exercise, and helps to stimulate her mind.
I love the fact that she is still able to get out and go. She is trying real hard to stay independent, so I'm giving her enough slack in the rope to allow her the independence she so desperately needs, while at the same time being very cautious to keep her safe.
Thanks for going with me today Amy. I know this is hard and sad at the same time, but I like to do anything that makes her smile a little. Plus I loved your company :-).
Thanks for all you are doing for Mom. I'm looking forward to your vacation. YOU NEED A BREAK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love to all,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment