Monday, October 5, 2009

I was at Mom's also for the party. I arrived after everyone else, so I don't know what had transpired before I arrived. Maybe she paid quite a bit of attention to Steve, Sharon, Chuck and Laurice before I got there. She was really glad to see Emily and Matt, Ryan, Hanna and baby.
She was glad Amy and I were there too...but we are there ALL the time, so I didn't expect her to make a fuss over us. And she didn't.
What I saw was a WIDE eyed mom. The stare, that is too often on her face, is sad to me. It's like she is trying to stay alert, but is struggling with what's going on around her. Maybe she's having a difficult time in processing so many things going on at once. She seems to be able to focus on only one thing at a time. Yes, she was either playing with Jonathan (which is what she would have been doing 10 years ago) or looking through her boxes of pics. She was showing me pics of long ago, when I was involved with other conversations. She kept saying, "Becky, look at this one". "Have you seen this"?, repeatedly, til I got up and went to look at the picture.
I believe there were too many voices going on at once and she couldn't decipher which one to tune into, so she just went into her own little world, not acknowledging ANY of the conversations going on around her.

No comments:

Post a Comment