Thursday, October 1, 2009

Not a bad day at all. Helen and I each read separately this morning for awhile, then chatted, then scarfed down some of Becky's chicken casserole, then watched the old b&w western, High Noon and that was really about it.

My Dr. said "you're going to have to learn to be less "family" and start being more of a professional. Dead on. My job would be easier if Helen and I d/n have an on and off 40 year hx. together. So I started doing that today. I think that's what made it a bit less stressful.

Helen was much better today. Not too much repetition of stories, not too much more than I probably repeat my stories from time to time, which was a relief after yesterday.

Focussed heavily on leading questions [if you can't converse, ask questions (it's a sure-fire technique for keeping Helen focussed on her stories, or anyone else, for that matter), and non-verbal skills: body position, eye contact, facial expression, tone of voice, that sort of thing.]

For all of us, with anybody, all of the time, 90% of all communication is non-verbal. That's pretty deep, even scary, but it is so, and is esp. important when with Helen. That's about it. Got all of the dishes washed but still in the dishwasher until tomorrow. R.

No comments:

Post a Comment