Wednesday, March 3, 2010

So, where is the $800 ?

Tuesday morning, when the weather turned bad, I went out, left Helen and Maggie's lunch and hightailed it home. Dorothy called and said not to go back out. I wish I had not agreed with her advice. Instead I lay down and promptly went to sleep. While I slept. Brad [Gary's son] and one of his friends came by to visit Helen. This, after I had blessed Brad out telling him never to come back again. Helen and Maggie had just returned from Sun Trust, Helen having $800 which she counted and placed in her wallet in full view of the two visitors. When they left, the $800 was gone. But don't judge too quickly yet.
Maggie sat with a full view of the table where Helen had placed the wallet the whole time the two boys were there. Neither of them went near that area of the room, near Helen's chair.
What we may be looking at is a classic Alzheimer symptom. The person puts something somewhere special 'for safe keeping' and then forgets where they put it. This is Maggie's read on the thing, and she's pretty sure that is what happened. If someone took the wallet, Maggie would have seen it happen. Money has been "lost" before-without company. We all know this. We may find every penny of it in one tin or another.
On the other hand we may have two young thieves on our hands. I have a difficult time seeing Brad and his friend come over to "visit." The friend wanted to see the whole house. Helen showed him every room, every door. Was he casing the joint? I honestly do not know.
Did Helen forget where she put the money (again), I do not know either. R

No comments:

Post a Comment