Saturday, March 13, 2010

On the plane

I just found out yesterday, 4th or 5th hand, that Helen had a problem on the plane. I called Maggie after they had arrived and was told that "everything was fine" when it wasn't. I expect Helen was in the room and she c/n/ tell me.

Helen's distress is a result of the AZD symptom of not being able to think in the abstract. Like a small child who cries when mom steps into the next room, thinking he is all alone, so too with Helen, who, in her perception of reality thought that since Maggie was out of sight, she had abandoned her. It's an "out of sight out of mind" sort of thing. More evidence that Helen 's Alzheimer's is worsening.

To avoid any further stress on Helen, Cindy is flying to Texas and will fly back with Helen at her side. I was afraid that Helen and Maggie would be in different parts of the plane and should have said something, but I didn't. R.

No comments:

Post a Comment