Monday, November 23, 2009

Hey guys,

I hope that everyone is well. Hope is really under the weather and would have not been able to have come for the Dr's visit tomorrow anyway. Even so I can appreciate how disappointing that is was that the appointment was canceled. Amy called to inform us and Hope wanted me to call Chuck so he would not come down to get her. Wow - dealing with an aging parent who is ill (been there -done that) is nothing short of challenging all by itself. I hope that the dialogue can remain open with all the siblings, so Mom's needs and care doesn't become a side issue.

While looking up some info online about Alzheimer's I ran across this site:
http://www.healthcentral.com/alzheimers/c/42/93035/provide-support
I have talked with Amy, and Becky and have heard the well founded fears regarding another dog for Mom, and I certainly do not discount what has already transpired. Even so, I wonder how folks who have support dogs for their illness accommodate what is the obvious needs of the support dog. I'll do more research and share what I find out. In the meantime, I hope such articles as mentioned above can provide some valuable insight.

Rob - a personal note of thanks from Hope and me for your tireless efforts to look after and encourage Mom. And thanks to everyone for keeping us in the loop and for not giving up. Please know that hearts are with you all.

With much affection,
Sam (and Hope)

1 comment:

  1. Sam, I think a dog would be god for Mom except for a couple of things. #1, Mom believes that having a dog that can't run free is mean. I guess the loss of so many animals on the farm to accident or malice simply doesn't register with her. The airedale before Hooch simply disappeared while his running buddy 'Hershey' limped back home, torn to shreds by another dog or dogs, only to lay down and bleed to death in the driveway.
    If she would even consider putting up a fence and confining the dog's outside activities I'd be all for it. But she won't.
    Additionally, as unsteady as she is on her feet, a small dog is a potential safety issue - as is a large dog really.
    If she had a companion animal that knew her and had grown through the years with her, I expect it would be different. Dogs seem to 'know' things about their people and can accommodate. I'm not sure a puppy would be a wise thing and - I don't want to have to put another sweet dog to death because of neglect.
    Yes, dogs can be great therapy. But I don't think that under the circumstances, it's a good idea. Also, consider that mom wants another airedale. Not just a dog, but a breed of dog that is a challenge to train and who needs more than anyone who is associated with Mom has the time of the ability to provide.
    Just my two cents

    ReplyDelete