Friday, January 29, 2010

I took Mom out to eat last night. We both love lamb chops and creamed spinach from The Chop House. So, off we went. It was a good night. As we were waiting for our meal, we enjoyed the small loaf of bread we are always graced with. Mom commented on how that was the BEST Rye bread she had ever eaten. It wasn't rye at all, but I just agreed with her anyway. She was surprisingly "with it" all evening. She got relatives confused...who was whose cousin and what were their names. She remembered Polly's husband Ott as dying a couple of months ago and that Polly was now living by herself. The reality is....Ott died many many years ago.
When we got back to her house the weather had turned much colder. Mom brought her coat into the living room and offered it to me. She said "look, I want to show you something I just discovered". As she was demonstrating, she told me that if you put your long sleeve in your hand and held onto it, then you could put your arm in your jacket without you sleeve riding up your arm. She was really proud of herself figuring that out. I replied "Wow Mom..what a great idea !!!
And as always..I took her to get her English Toffee coffee treat to enjoy later.
Becky

1 comment:

  1. Yes,Helen was surprisingly "with it" all of last week. But less "with it" than you described going out to eat. She was really into videos/westerns all week and I think the focus on one thing for an extended period of time is what did it. I'd like to guess that she is on somewhat of a plateau at present. No decompensating that I can see. She's washing dishes, showered a couple of times this week. Eating well. Still, she is getting loose around sundown. It's a curious phenomenon, that. So I turn on lights as it gets darker which helps. Don't get me wrong, The Chop House is a great idea. Dorothy has a $50 gift certificate from me she got Christmas from me.
    Another $25 dollars set aside and the three of us will go out to the Chop House here on Broadway.

    ReplyDelete